Alberta's Municipal Elections: October 18, 2021
Did you know? Alberta is in an election season!
Watch this page for information concerning the Municipal Elections - If you have any questions, concerns or needs that would like to see addressed on this page please email Sam at email@example.com and they will add them for you.
Municipal Elections are governed by the Alberta Provincial Government. All municipalities in Alberta will have a municipal election on October 18th, 2021.
- A Municipality refers to the governing body of cities, towns, villages, hamlets, summer villages, municipal districts and specialized municipalities.
- Municipalities are responsible for most of the day-to-day elements of life like: City planning, waste management, transit, Family and community support, day care, seniors service, emergency services, recreation and more. (more information here: https://www.auma.ca/what-municipal-government#:~:text=An%20overview%20of%20municipal%20government,maintain%20safe%20and%20viable%20communities.)
There are 356 registered municipalities in Alberta (https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/charities-giving/other-organizations-that-issue-donation-receipts-qualified-donees/other-qualified-donees-listings/list-municipalities-alberta.html)
Mayoral Forums- Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge and Calgary
Every municipality in Alberta heads to the polls October 18, 2021 to elect their new mayors, councillors and school board trustees. Alberta Ability Network and Voice of Albertans with Disabilities have invited all the mayoral candidates across four Albertan cities to discuss the issues that directly affect people with disabilities. Topics such as: transportation, housing and poverty reduction (and much much more).
If you live in any of these cities, register to join the conversation at the links below - and make sure you enter any of the questions you have for your mayoral candidates in the registration page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. ASL and Cart will be provided for all the sessions.
- Edmonton: September 7, 2021 from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM - Registration: https://bit.ly/3iAiG9i
- Red Deer: September 14, 2021 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Registration: https://bit.ly/3Ava9dx
- Lethbridge: September 21, 2021 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Registration: https://bit.ly/3xCcSAd
- Calgary: September 23, 2021 from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM - Registration: https://bit.ly/3jIX3D3
Don’t see your city? Here’s why:
There’s 356 municipalities in Alberta, and although it would have been amazing to host an event for each one, a lot of time and resources go into making these work- we are focusing on these four because the incumbent (or current Mayor) isn’t seeking re-election, and at the time of planning these event there were more than two mayor candidates announced. If you live in a city that isn’t represented and you want support talking to the mayor candidates in your city or town, email email@example.com and we will do our best to make something work for you! Thanks for understanding