Info on Legislation
- Full Version of Legislation:
FALA's Plain Language Explanation of the Proposed Accessible Canada Act: https://www.include-me.ca/federal-accessibility-legislation-alliance/resource/falas-plain-language-explanation-proposed
Actions taken by VAD
Supporters of the open letter:
- Kathleen Biersdorff - Alberta Disability Workers Association
- Jesse Orjasaeter
- Alexandra Long - SAIPA
- Sahana Parameswara - Gateway Association
- Ermira Kusari - Cerebral Palsy Association in Alberta
- Mary-Noah Ndateramye
- Mike Lake MP
- Deb Murray - CARS
- Kathy Makin - Champions Career Centre
Alberta Senator Contacts
- Doug Black, Independent
- Senator Patti LaBoucane-Benson, Independent
- Senator Paula Simons, Independent
- Senator Scott Tannas, Conservative
- Senator Elaine McCoy, Independent
- Senator Grant Mitchell, Non-affiliated
Listed below are 4 tools that you and your organization can use to talk to others about the legislation
1) Ideas for Information to Share on Bill C-81: the Accessible Canada Act
This document outlines key elements you could use when talking about the draft Accessible Canada Act. This is an outline that you can personalize with examples and pick and choose which sections you want to cover in your talk or presentation.
This material could be used to prepare for a meeting or presentation with staff, students, community groups and/or the media.
2) Send a letter to your Member of Parliament
3) Get Others Involved
This is a short little video that tells people that Bill C-81 has been drafted and how they could get involved to have their voice heard.
This is a small piece of information that is designed to get people interested and perhaps involved.
You could post this on facebook and encourage others to share it with their networks.
4) Short Video Clip on Bill C-81
This is a 6 minute interview that was done with Meloney Patterson and Zachery Weeks with CTV. It gives a good description of the current issues faced by person with disabilities, the potential of Bill C-81 and some of the areas that could be improved in the Draft.
Good educational Tool for yourself
Could be a clip that is put in a presentation/powerpoint
This link is the full CTV news show. You need to search for the interview of Bill C-81 which occurs at the 33 minute mark of the show.